Skip to main content

Incredible Butternut Squash, Chickpea & Red Lentil Stew



This stew is amazing.

Trying exciting new recipes is always fun.  When I saw this North-African modeled stew, I was intrigued and made a mental note to buy the ingredients on my next grocery trip.  It just sounded so different from anything that I usually make.  As it came together beautifully in the kitchen, it became this incredible marriage of spices and ingredients that resulted in heavenly smells wafting through the house.  I was sold!

After reading the recipe reviews, I decided to make some major changes to improve the dish.  You can see the original recipe HERE.  My biggest changes included using red onion and canned chickpeas, adding garlic and chicken to the dish, sauteing the onion and garlic before adding the other ingredients and also cooking the stew on the stove top instead of a slow-cooker.  Several of the reviews noted that there wasn't much flavor, and that all the ingredients sort of became the same consistency in the slow cooker.  Because of this, I added extra flavor by using red onion and by sauteing the onion along with garlic before adding the other ingredients.  This worked flawlessly and the vegetable broth deglazed the pan perfectly, adding even more flavor. 

Also, cooking this on the stove top kept the ingredients from becoming the same consistency.  The squash and carrots still had a little bite to them, and the flavor was incredible.  The cumin, saffron and fresh ginger in this stew really push it over the top in the deliciousness department!

Brad and I found the finished stew to be packed with flavor, and upon first bite, I even got a "Wow!" from Brad.  I think he was a fan.  :)

Luckily, there are left-overs in the fridge, which makes me happy.  I might serve them over brown rice tonight, or I just might serve it in a bowl all on its own again. 

This is a keeper!  Bon Appetit, my friends!






Butternut Squash, Chickpea & Red Lentil Stew
Adapted from Eating Well

Ingredients:
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup canned chickpeas, drained
2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup red lentils
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon saffron, (see Note)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 cup chopped roasted lightly salted peanuts
1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Place the chicken breast in an oven-proof dish, drizzling it with about 1 tbsp. of the extra virgin olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper and bake for approximately 40 - 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.  Cut into small bite-sized pieces and set to the side.
  3. In a heavy-bottomed stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat, drizzle 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.  Add the red onion and saute until tender and slightly golden brown.  Next, add the garlic and continue to saute for 1 additional minute.
  4. Deglaze the pan by adding the vegetable broth to the pot, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom.
  5. Add the squash, carrots, lentils, chickpeas, chicken, tomato paste, ginger, cumin, salt, saffron and pepper.  Stir together well.
  6. Put on the lid, leaving it ajar, and simmer over lowish heat until the squash are tender and the lentils have begun to break down, about 45 minutes.  While it's simmering, stir the stew every now and then, to make sure the bottom doesn't burn.  If the stew starts to become too thick, you may need to add a little additional water during the process.  (I ended up adding about 2 cups of water.)
  7. Just before serving, stir in the lime juice. Serve sprinkled with peanuts and cilantro.

Tips & Notes

  • Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
  • Note:  Considered the world's most expensive spice, saffron contributes a pungent flavor and intense yellow color. It is sold in threads and powdered form.  

Pin It

Comments

Gina Kain said…
This was delicious! Made it today. We really enjoyed it. Followed the recipe to a T, even adding the 2 cups of water when cooking. It was perfect.
Mary Lynn said…
This is FABULOUS!! I left out the chicken and threw in some kale that needed to be used. It is so tasty and complex. One tip: pierce the squash once then microwave for 3 minutes. It is much easier to cut and peel! Thanks for a really great dinner!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out