Skip to main content

Bobby's Caramel Cake - Paula Deen

***Caramel...Butter...Fluffy Cake Layers...Decadent Filling...Pecans...Paula Deen...Need I say more??? Haha.

I recently made this cake for a co-worker's birthday. He printed this recipe out for me a long time ago, so I decided to surprise him with it on his big day. The results were nothing short of scrumptiously decadent! The cake came out fluffy and perfect. The caramel filling added a beautifully warm taste, and the frosting was the perfect sweet addition.

Next time I make this cake, I think I'll wait to make the frosting right before adding it to the cake. I noticed that it started to harden pretty quickly. After reading the reviews, I realized a lot of people were having this problem. One solution might be to decrease the amount of confectioner's sugar in the frosting. I ended up adding a little extra cream.

Overall, the taste was amazing. I can't think of a better way to top this cake off than with pecans...they were divine. This cake was completely gone by the end of the day! Paula never fails to impress with her DELICIOUS cake recipes!***

Ingredients:
For the cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
3 cups sifted self-rising flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the filling:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream, or more if needed
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Directions:
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans.

Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add granulated sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4-inches above counter dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

For the filling:
While cake is baking, in a saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Remove cake layers from oven and allow cake to remain in pans as you prepare to stack and fill. Remove first layer and invert onto cake plate. Pierce cake layer with a toothpick over entire surface. Spread 1/3 of filling mixture on cake layer. Top with second layer, repeat process. Top with last layer and repeat process again.

*Cook's Note: As I stack layers together, I stick them with toothpicks to prevent cake from shifting.

For the frosting:
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat with a handheld electric mixer until it reaches a spreading consistency. At this time it may be necessary to add a tablespoon of heavy cream, or more, if frosting gets too thick. Just be sure to add cream is small amounts because you can always "add to", but you can't take away. Frost cake and sprinkle top with chopped nuts, if desired.

Source: Paula Deen - www.foodnetwork.com

Comments

lisaiscooking said…
This sounds delicious with the caramel, and the texture of the cake looks amazing!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
YUM,this looks and sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing.
~ingrid
Steph said…
I'm definitely a caramel person, and this looks delicious!!! Thanks for sharing :)
Anonymous said…
Paula sure has some great recipes. The cake looks great and the caramel filling looks like it compliments the cake perfectly. Thanks for sharing!
Sweetie said…
looks awesome and much easier than the caramel cake i've tried in the past. i had the same problem with the caramel filling turning rock solid. do you think it has anything to do with how long you boil/heat the caramel?

glad to have foud your blog through baking bites! off to check out the archives : )
DREAMTIMEMAKES said…
Have got to try this cake soon
Katy
jlamas said…
Hi. I just made this cake and the scraps I tasted from leveling the cake were delicious!! Question, while I was frosting the cake, the frosting became a bit crumbly. Is this normal or would you have any suggestions on what I can change foe next time. Thanks. Great recipe!!!
Anonymous said…
First, you need to ice the cake while it is still warm if you want smooth caramel icing. Also, instead of Paula Deen's caramel filling, use some dulce de leche in between the layers. Dulce de leche is essentially cooked sweetened condensed milk. you can by it in the spanish foods section or make your own by submerging a can of sweetened condensed milk(take off wrapper) unopened in a crock pot and cooking on low overnight. Make sure it is completely submerged in water. It is the best stuff you have ever tasted and will make this cake the talk of the town.
Anonymous said…
This is why I love Paula Deen 5 sticks of butter for one cake. This sounds heavenly and will make very soon.
Anonymous said…
I made this cake this week and I must say it is absolutely Devine but the filling didn't thicken up and I was wondering what I did wrong...any suggestions?
Jacqueline said…
I saw this on Pinterest! It is 1 in the morning and I am seriously drooling! Super divine!
Anonymous said…
Just meade this cake for our Christmas familiy gathering. The frosting did set up really quickly, and I ended up using my hands, kind of like modeling clay. Anyway, it looks great and can't wait to taste it.



Anonymous said…
I had to sell a lot of my books (my apartment is too small to hold them all), including Paula Deen's book of desserts. Thought I would have to Xerox this recipe before sending the book to its new owner, but am delighted to find it on the Internet! Will make it for a special Holiday Dinner this fall!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out